Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sick Days and Soup Days

I love soup year round but Georgia summers are just a bit too hot to really enjoy it. Soup is the best when you can snuggle up in a cozy blanket and watch a movie. I'm not a fan of salty canned soups so it's not very often that I have soup at home. I'm a big fan of potato soup (Panera, Publix, Jason's Deli are my faves) but have only made it once. 

I have been a little under the weather this week and I'm finally starting to kick it! I've got this yucky seasonal stuff that everyone gets during the transition from summer to fall. Chris and I went home to Habersham for the weekend and I'm glad we did. I started getting sick over the weekend so it was nice to be at mom's so she could tell me what medicines to take. What do people do if their mom isn't a nurse? I swear! I'd be lost. Thanks, Mama!

When we got back Sunday night we made a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up just enough things to make it through this week since we are leaving Friday for a long weekend in Gatlinburg. I had been thumbing through my Paula Deen cookbook last week looking for something new and ran across a soup that I thought sounded delicious! So, when I was sick on Sunday I thought I'd give it a try. Paula says it's a summer soup, but I changed it up and made it my own. I think it's a bit more hearty and perfect for these cool days! Give it a try, it's delicious!




Corn and Potato Chowder (adapted from Paula Deen)

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
Bacon bits (I used about 1/2 cup)
2 cans corn, drained and rinsed
3 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Shredded Cheddar Cheese for topping


1. Melt butter over medium heat and add onion and bacon. Stir occasionally until onion is softened, about five minutes.
2. Add the broth, corn, potatoes, cream, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to the butter mixture. 
3. Heat the soup until it comes to a boil. 
4. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until the potato is tender, about ten minutes.
5. Top with cheese, serve, cuddle up, and enjoy!

I'm a big fan of potatoes and corn so this was right up my alley! I really enjoyed it and hope you will too! 





No comments:

Post a Comment