Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day Two

Is it seriously only Tuesday, y'all? I thought it was Thursday! Deep breaths...

The past couple of weeks have been a total whirlwind - we have had so much going on. I subbed Kindergarten last Monday then signed up for a fifth grade job at a new school for Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll just be honest - substituting has put some interesting thoughts into my head.

I have always known without a shadow of a doubt that I wanted to teach middle school. I love those hormone driven, dramatic, romantical, crazy fools. However, all the time I've spent in Elementary lately has really made me think. I haven't committed to taking the GACE yet, but I'm considering it. It's never a bad thing to broaden your horizons, right?

Moving on - last Wednesday I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. I think I'm a pretty good sub - everything has went pretty smooth up until this day. It was one of those days when I booked it out of the school parking lot, grabbed a coke, took some head ache meds, and parked it on the couch for the night with no intention of moving. 

If my fantastic mentor teacher, Pierre, taught me anything it was to reflect every. single. day. As I was thinking back on what went well and what didn't my cell phone rang. I saw that it was the Elementary school I usually sub at so I answered it. The sub coordinator told me the principal had asked her to call me and offer me a long term job for the remainder of the school year. (sidebar - the principal knows who I am? What?) I adore this little school so I immediately said yes before I really even knew what I was getting into. 

I started yesterday and these past two days have been wild! I'm doing EIP for K-3. I have seven blocks of kids and go non stop all day to make sure I service them all. Right now I'm just focusing on getting my schedule straightened out and ironing out the kinks with the kiddos schedules. Each block is different and I'm loving it. The day absolutely flies by! I'm working with some fantastic teachers and know this is going to be a one of a kind learning experience for me. Keep me and the kids in your prayers as I try to figure out what the heck I'm doing!



No comments:

Post a Comment