Monday, December 17, 2012

Family.

Not only was yesterday the anniversary of burying my own grandfather, but it was the day Charles was laid to rest. Despite the dreary day and pouring rain, the service was beautiful and just what I had expected. It reminded me just how lucky I am to have married into such a kind, loving, and close-knit big family. I've never seen anything like it in all my life. Every family has their trouble, but if this family does you better bet you'd never know it. I've been lucky enough to be apart of the family for eight years and I've yet to see it. They truly are some of the best people I have ever known. Even though I'm "not blood," as Scott jokingly said during the service, they treat me just the same and I know they would do anything in the world for me.

During the service the brothers and sisters got up and sang together. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever witnessed. They were hurting too but they stood together and stayed strong for their sister. Y'all know by now it doesn't take much to make me cry, but that did me in quicker than even I expected. It's not often I see siblings who have the same love for each other that I have for my sister, but they definitely do. That's the one word I'd use to describe them: love. Love for each other and love for the Lord. I've never met anyone who shows the love of Christ like those women. You only have to be around them for a moment and you can feel it surrounding you.

I've learned a lot about myself as a Christian over the past couple of years. While I value the word and witnessing to others, I'm more concerned with "walking the walk," than "talking the talk" in my daily life. I've encountered many of those people who turn Christians away in the past and that's the last thing I want to do. Anyone can talk about the Lord but living it is what we struggle with. That's what these women have taught me. They make me want to live my life in a way that brings glory to the Lord. As a teacher I can't bring God into my classroom in the ways I would like so I have to bring him in through my actions. Every morning I teach I pray to the Lord and ask him to shine through me so that the kids can experience his love and grace through me. In light of all that has happened that seems more important than ever.

Love to you and yours,






No comments:

Post a Comment