Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My favorite person




Okay, y'all know I'm super sappy and this post will be no exception. I want to dedicate a post to my favorite person... and no this post isn't about Chris (a loud gasp comes from all the newlyweds out there...) That post will come about a month from now so be on the look out if you're a fellow sap :)

I want to tell you about my favorite person: My sister. A few weeks ago a sweet friend wrote the best thing about sisters on Facebook. It's been on my mind ever since and is partially what led to this post. That, and the fact that my sister got an awesome new job working in the Terry College of Business at UGA! I know, I'm jealous too! I couldn't be more proud of her! She'd been looking for a job for a while and I have no doubt that God picked this job especially for her. His plans never cease to amaze me. The only thing that would make it better would be if I could be in Athens with her! Who doesn't want to work in the heart of the greatest campus on Earth? Okay, back to the point. 

Haley and I are almost six years apart and I cannot thank my mother enough for planning it out that way! Every family dynamic is different but ours couldn't have worked out more perfectly. I definitely want my kids spaced a few years apart too. We each had our time to shine and got all the attention we could ask for. It's so nice knowing that we both are "the favorite." I absolutely love watching home videos and looking at old family photos from when we were little. It seems like Haley was my mother because she was always dragging me around like a doll baby and taking the best care of me! Thanks for twenty two years of chicken nuggets and mac and cheese, Hal!

As we got older we gradually started to like each other less and less... to be expected I suppose. We were always in totally different seasons of life but I was always thankful to have someone around who went through everything before I did. When I hit high school and Haley was in college was when we began to get so close. I could call her to ask about what teacher to take for Math, how to tell mom and dad I hit something in my car (several times), or ask for advice about friendships. I'll never know if it's nature or nurture, but the older we got, the more alike we became in almost every way. Even our parents get us confused sometimes because we are so similar.

In the midst of all our silly scuffles growing up dad always said, "You two will be so thankful for each other one day," and he couldn't have been more right. I don't know what I would do without my sister. She has a place in my life and my heart that no one else could ever fulfill. She's my best friend, my biggest fan, and my rock in this crazy world. When something great happens she's the first person I call, and when my world feels like it's crashing down around me she's the one person I want beside me through it all. She has the kindest heart of any one I've ever known and would do anything in the world for me. I've gained friends and lost friends but through it all she has been the best friend I've ever had. I wouldn't have made it through these last two years without her to calm me and bring me back down to Earth.

We joke about our mom being best friends with God and "choosing" to have two daughters. I'm not sure which one I should thank more - I thank God everyday for my sister and I hope my parents know just how grateful I am for the life and love they have given us both. We wouldn't love each other so much if our family unit wasn't so abnormally close. I can only hope that my kids feel the same love from me and for each other that we have experienced during our lifetime.




I love you, Hal!




No comments:

Post a Comment