Thursday, November 29, 2012

An unusual compliment

"You look like a teacher."

Hmm... Is the glass half empty or half full? Did this imply I looked like a frumpy old biddy today or someone who loves and inspires kids? I'm totally going with the latter, y'all!

In case you didn't know I've been in a third grade classroom for over three weeks now. I was originally asked to sub two weeks for a teacher who was having surgery. She was super prepared and left me fantastic sub plans - which I was very thankful for seeing as I have no clue what I am doing in the world of third grade. I got some great advice from all my Elementary friends and have really enjoyed my time with the sweet kids.

Today I was lining the kids up outside the lunchroom - which of course included using my teacher voice, fussing, making the face, and counting to five. Another teacher came up to me and asked me if I was a teacher. I answered by saying, "Yes, I've been subbing in third grade for a couple of weeks." She then asked me if I was a certified teacher and I told her yes. She told me I looked like a teacher and said she had seen me around the school several times. She complimented me on the great job I've been doing. 

Today was a rough day so it really lifted my spirits! It was just what I needed to hear! Subbing isn't for the faint of heart, that's for sure. The kids can be wonderful and awful all at the same time. I hate to admit it, but teachers are the same way. I've had some great experiences and some not so great ones. I have learned so much already about myself and the type of teacher I want to be. Tomorrow is theoretically my last day (again) but we'll see if that's actually true!





No comments:

Post a Comment